We regret to inform you that this forum will be shut down soon. For any questions, please contact us.

blotteracids

What do you think is the reason why people can't understand bi/homosexuality?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Do you think it's just about religion and cultural concepts or is it something deeper within the human mind? Some kind of aversion? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

In my personal experience, I've found that a lot of the people that aren't accepting of bi/homosexual people tend to be that way because of their religion and upbringing. I was raised Catholic and went to a private middle/elementary school, so being anything besides straight was totally not allowed. I actually didn't fully know that until 7th grade, and being from a household where my mom made it clear she was accepting of whatever sexuality I chose, I found it crazy that my religion wasn't the same way! Although I know quite a few kids in my school would still accept me, I also knew there were quite a few who wouldn't, and their parents were a lot more intimidating. I also found that a lot of people who have grown up in very strict households tend to be a bit more narrow-minded, so they are not always as open to different sexualities/gender identities as they should be.

I'd say cultural concepts, or how those concepts move as narrative expectations. Culture could be more than or other than religious, too, it could be linguistic, fashioned, economic, ethnic, embodied, enacted, basically all the unspoken guidelines and sensitivities and obliviousnesses that keep a so-called functioning society. Or so-considered "malfunctioning" individuals in such societies that resist any adjustments to the established system. (In which case I think it's...not an individual 's problem? I mean it's literally a problem an individual would have, yes, but I throw shade at The System.) Gender and romance are somewhere in there.

Posted (edited) · Report post

In my opinion, those biased feeling are held by those who are religious primarily.  Three of the most widespread religions have at least some doctrine against homosexuality.  I believe in Christianity and know that everybody has access to Christ's love.  I don't think hypocrisy will save anyone.  But those are my beliefs, and I plan to respect those who may disagree.

Edited by LittleAnna
I forgot a word!

In my family, they understand bi and homosexuality, but they consider it as a sin. Especially my brother. He keeps on saying about how the bible states that sinners should be killed and not pardoned, and among those sinners are the homosexuals. On my other brother's side, however, he just dislikes them. Probably because of the culture he grew up in. He once told a story when he was a high schooler, that when they found out that a classmate of theirs was gay, they would kick him in the nuts, push him down the stairs and such.

I want to lecture them, at least change their pov a bit -even if they can't accept bi and homosexuality, I want to at least make their bad attitude towards the bis and homos. But nay, they don't listen at all -_-:( 

I find that the majority of people that don't accept bisexuals or homosexuals are people that aren't used to being around them, or are from older generations that don't believe it's "proper" to have a relationship with someone of the same gender. My father in particular is like this. He believes things should be how they were years ago and nothing should ever change. He's very much stuck in the past, I suppose. Unwilling to change. If people don't fit his ideas of what's right then he doesn't like them. 

To begin with, I wonder if people have a problem understanding me or if they have a problem accepting me.  Many religious people have the ability to understand what homosexuality and bisexuality are, and what they mean.  They also think it is something that can be repressed or redirected.  I think they cannot accept that it is not a choice: asking me not be gay would be the same as asking them not to have blue eyes. 

That being said, I have met some people who are incapable of understanding homosexuality in practice.  Many older people, like my grandmother, could not understand the concept.  I have found that, in these cases, I can often make them understand by explaining that I was born this way: that I have always been drawn, emotionally and physically, to women.

I have identified following reasons:

Religion: Most of the world religions criminalizes LGBT

Culture: Culture and tradition is always against same sex relationship

Nurture: Your upbringing can contribute on how you view sexuality

Nature: You might be programmed to believe that way.

It's a cultural thing. You've all heard the reasons those against same sex marriages proffered to oppose same sex marriage. Kids were raised believing that being straight was the only sexual orientation. That's why it will take a while for these beliefs to be eliminated but I have a feeling that like racism which is passed down from parents to their progeny it won't be easy to end discrimination against the LGBT community.

Well... I think that's because we all have this little thing in our minds that it has a concept of what's "normal" and just socially acceptable in general and what's not, and when you grew up on an environment that it's all about those concepts, you obviously tend to reject what's different to that, not because you can't understand it, it's because if you admit that's possible or normal, then it means that you have been living with the wrong concepts all your life, and that's obviously not pleasing, especially when it comes to older people. 

It's just my little theory.