Join our first ever forum contest here:565_rainbow:

blotteracids

What do you think is the reason why people can't understand bi/homosexuality?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I do agree religion plays a HUGE part in people not accepting or understanding homosexuality. I'd say it's the number 1 reason!

I also think that people who can't accept same sex relationships are real relationships are very closed minded. I don't consider them stupid, but narrow minded and that makes me sad. 

Religion is one of the reasons why majority of "straight" people do not accept homosexuality. Most of the world religions do not accept homosexuality (Christianity included). Some religions, for instance, Islam, have sanctioned strict punishment for people practicing homosexuality.

On July 4, 2016 at 10:04 PM, sydney1237 said:

In my personal experience, I've found that a lot of the people that aren't accepting of bi/homosexual people tend to be that way because of their religion and upbringing. I was raised Catholic and went to a private middle/elementary school, so being anything besides straight was totally not allowed. I actually didn't fully know that until 7th grade, and being from a household where my mom made it clear she was accepting of whatever sexuality I chose, I found it crazy that my religion wasn't the same way! Although I know quite a few kids in my school would still accept me, I also knew there were quite a few who wouldn't, and their parents were a lot more intimidating. I also found that a lot of people who have grown up in very strict households tend to be a bit more narrow-minded, so they are not always as open to different sexualities/gender identities as they should be.

I totally agree. I also believe sydney1237. That this is due to ones upbringing and religious beliefs also. When I was in school, which I went to Catholic School, being bi/homosexual was frowned upon. Many classmates were teased and taunted and it seemed that the teachers looked on and did absolutely nothing.:grimacing:

It is how you are raised, if you teach your children to be prejudiced in any manner this is how they grow up. Some on the other hand are very accepting.:grinning: And not shallow minded like there parents.

I found that old generation people are a bit more into faith and the law of nature kind of beliefs so they are hard to accept anything which they don't consider normal. For them two people should unite for reproduction  and be faithful to each other and so the concept of homo or bi is beyond them.

The rest may be just insensitive and ignorant of other people's feelings. Otherwise I see no reason to bring religion and culture in this matter as sexuality existed even in the mythology just that anything other than a straight relationship was not highlighted.

I think it's a mixture of many reasons: religion, culture, not understanding, society, ignorance, media... I could go on but it would take up my whole day.

I don't think anyone will ever sum up the reasons why homosexuality is such a big deal to so many people. However, I do believe that, in time, we will "grow up" as a society and stop acting so weird about it.

I know this for sure, because people evolve so fast. I mean, 50 years ago, divorce was such a taboo! Or dating, You didn't get to date, you were told who to marry. But now... people divorce left and right and it's also acceptable to date as much as you want before marriage. ... So, yes, I believe being gay will also, one day, be "normal". 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor