Interested in becoming a forum moderator? Contact a staff member for more information!

sydney1237

Advice for People Questioning Sexuality/Gender?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi! I was just wondering if you had any advice for people (especially teens/younger people) who are still questioning their sexuality or gender. 

I think I'd tell them that everything will turn out ok in the end, and to be comfortable in whoever you are, even if that means not being accepted by everyone. You are loved!

Maybe I'm not the right person to give an advice, but I would tell them that if they are questioning their gender, research is one of the principal keys in my opinion, research, research, learn about it, educate yourself and maybe try to educate other people, it's really necessary sometimes, don't be afraid to identify as something outside the binary, sometimes that's the most liberating thing that you can do. And if they are questioning their sexuality well, I think that they would need to think about it and don't be afraid of the conclusions that they can make, and also would be a good idea to look for some support, no matter if it's online or from LGBT+ people around their city, I guess.

My advice?

Be willing to explore your sexuality. It's the one way to reall find the answers you seek. If you have a crush on someone with the same sex as you, don't fight the feelings, hoping that you'll probably start having feelings for the opposite sex. It's something that might cause you unnecessary heartache. Instead, embrace the feeling. You'll be well on your way to figuring out your sexual orientation.

I don't know if I'm the one to give any advice, seeing how I struggle a bit myself.

I did think about this though, and I think the best advice would be to just convince sexual confused people they're not alone! This is what helped me the most.

Knowing that, even if feeling confused about sexuality sucks, no one is ever alone in this. And finding a great place such as this one to read and talk about it helps a great deal!

think that the ability to go and talk about it with someone, in an open and honest manner, would really be the best course of action.  I would also say that the good news is that these places really are out there if you look hard enough.

I'd just tell them to stop listening to what others think and start living their own lives and experiment. Life is a collection of experiences so, if ever someone is confused, they should just experience and see what happens. Even if the experience is bad, at least they learn from each mistake so they'll know how to move on from there. 

I'd say go with the flow and see what happens.  People get too hung up on labels.  You don't have to fit into a neat little box.  Just because you're attracted to one gender doesn't mean you're not allowed to also be attracted to another.

Just do your thing and it'll sort itself out.

I can understand feeling confused and frustrated. In a world where everyone tries to fit in, you find yourself being so different. But that's ok! Because you're not alone! Do you know how many other people feel like this? I was one of them, so I totally understand what you're going through. Don't worry, time is on your side, soon you'll realize being gay/lesbian/bi/etc. is normal too! In fact, it's so normal it scares the hell out of straight people - that's what I would say :) 

I can't believe I didn't see this topic before! 

It's actually kinda helpful to read encouraging thoughts, even if they're not aimed at someone in particular, but to confused people in general. Keep writing in here, I'll be coming back to read some more when I'm feeling down :)

I'm very glad this topic turned out to be so useful for others :) Of course I hope every troubled teenager reads it, member or the forums or not.