We regret to inform you that this forum will be shut down soon. For any questions, please contact us.

redpanda

Pokemon GO

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Does anyone here like Pokemon? Are you going to download Pokemon GO? For those who don't know, Pokemon GO is a new augmented reality game for smartphones. It uses GPS, step tracking, and the camera to generate Pokemon, marts, gyms, etc. as you walk around (in the real world). The main mechanic is catching Pokemon but you can also capture and defend gyms. It's free but has some optional microtransactions. It released tonight in Australia and New Zealand, hopefully other countries get it soon. I'm excited to play it! :)

Earlier today, my friends and I were excitedly chattering about seeing Pokemon GO's release, only to find that it was only for Australia and NZ. (4 of us live in the US, one lives in Scotland.) Alas... But I'm crossing my fingers that it comes out in other areas soon, as well! I don't really have a lot of friends offline who play Pokemon, and I have the strangest feeling that this game just might help me meet some.

It seems promising, from what I've seen so far. A friend of mine got into the beta test, but they weren't allowed to talk about it. I did notice, though, that in the 8 minutes of gameplay video from a little earlier in the year, it seems they only have Gen 1 pokemon? Maybe that was just a development build or something, I hope it is. I'd love to have a bunch of Eeveelutions walk around with me.

I do love Pokemon a lot, but I am not sure if I will love Pokemon GO. If I were given options, I would probably choose those classic Pokemon games. I used to play them on my laptop using an emulator. :D but I wouldn't know how I feel until I try out Pokemon GO. :)

🌈 forum: https://girllovegirl.net | 🌈 social network: https://lgbt.io

14_289146.png

15 hours ago, astriferal said:

Earlier today, my friends and I were excitedly chattering about seeing Pokemon GO's release, only to find that it was only for Australia and NZ. (4 of us live in the US, one lives in Scotland.) Alas... But I'm crossing my fingers that it comes out in other areas soon, as well! I don't really have a lot of friends offline who play Pokemon, and I have the strangest feeling that this game just might help me meet some.

It seems promising, from what I've seen so far. A friend of mine got into the beta test, but they weren't allowed to talk about it. I did notice, though, that in the 8 minutes of gameplay video from a little earlier in the year, it seems they only have Gen 1 pokemon? Maybe that was just a development build or something, I hope it is. I'd love to have a bunch of Eeveelutions walk around with me.

Hopefully you saw that it's out in the US now :). I'm not sure about Scotland, though. Yeah, they only have generation 1 Pokemon in so far. I have a feeling more will be added later but we'll see. My favorite Pokemon is generation 2 (Kingdra).

13 hours ago, SElf said:

I do love Pokemon a lot, but I am not sure if I will love Pokemon GO. If I were given options, I would probably choose those classic Pokemon games. I used to play them on my laptop using an emulator. :D but I wouldn't know how I feel until I try out Pokemon GO. :)

I don't think it's a replacement for the traditional games, more of a supplement and excuse to explore your city :). I still prefer the main series games but GO seems fun so far (I downloaded it a few hours ago). It's free so I figured there was no reason not to try it out.

"Pokémon GO tops the app charts as Australian police warn against chasing Sandshrew too far" - http://9to5mac.com/2016/07/07/pokemon-for-iphone-app-charts/

The first comment of the article above is funny! :D

Comment: "sorry, if I have to enter the police station in order to catch a Pokémon, then that qualifies as necessary"

🌈 forum: https://girllovegirl.net | 🌈 social network: https://lgbt.io

14_289146.png

@redpanda, Sorry for delay on this - I did see that! I think that news happened right after or right before I made that comment, I honestly don't remember. :')

After getting it and spending a day or so with it, and talking to my friends, I've found I do really like it. It can still improve, of course, but to start with, it's fun, and it's something to do. The park across from my house has a gym and a Pokestop, so that's really convenient and nice. There's supposed to be more Pokemon on the park trail, but said trail is closed for now because of a broken bridge. I wonder what area I have to go through first to unlock it! :P

My only complaint currently is that I don't quite understand the little "leaf spouts" - I've gone right up close to one, but a Pokemon never appeared, and I've also found Pokemon in areas where there were no leaf spouts. I don't get what they might indicate, and clarification on that might be helpful. Or clarification on everything, for that matter. x_x A more in-depth tutorial would be really nice, but I can manage on my own for now, I think. For now, I'm referencing an online tutorial by GameRant. [Link for anyone interested]

9 hours ago, astriferal said:

@redpanda, Sorry for delay on this - I did see that! I think that news happened right after or right before I made that comment, I honestly don't remember. :')

After getting it and spending a day or so with it, and talking to my friends, I've found I do really like it. It can still improve, of course, but to start with, it's fun, and it's something to do. The park across from my house has a gym and a Pokestop, so that's really convenient and nice. There's supposed to be more Pokemon on the park trail, but said trail is closed for now because of a broken bridge. I wonder what area I have to go through first to unlock it! :P

My only complaint currently is that I don't quite understand the little "leaf spouts" - I've gone right up close to one, but a Pokemon never appeared, and I've also found Pokemon in areas where there were no leaf spouts. I don't get what they might indicate, and clarification on that might be helpful. Or clarification on everything, for that matter. x_x A more in-depth tutorial would be really nice, but I can manage on my own for now, I think. For now, I'm referencing an online tutorial by GameRant. [Link for anyone interested]

I believe the shaking leaf patches indicate a higher chance for a Pokemon to appear but it's not guaranteed. I've definitely had plenty pop up nowhere near the shaking grass.

I've found Niantic's guide to be useful: https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us

I think the game would really benefit from having a real tutorial. I'm enjoying it, though, my partner and I even took over a few gyms :). Too bad the servers are so wonky, I haven't been able to play since early this morning.

I downloaded this game and I've been obsessed with playing it. I'm only level 3 but I think that's pretty good for only having it for one day haha. I woke up this morning with four Pokemon in my house so I was pretty excited! I'm going to go check my mail and see what other Pokemon I can find. #iwannabetheverybest #likenooneeverwas

2 hours ago, Krnasmommy said:

I downloaded this game and I've been obsessed with playing it. I'm only level 3 but I think that's pretty good for only having it for one day haha. I woke up this morning with four Pokemon in my house so I was pretty excited! I'm going to go check my mail and see what other Pokemon I can find. #iwannabetheverybest #likenooneeverwas

I'm lucky as well, Pokemon spawn in my apartment pretty regularly :). My neighborhood isn't very walk-able, sadly! Out of curiosity, which Pokemon are you finding in your area? I think it's really cool that different regions have different types of Pokemon. My friends up north find Jynx, for example, and my sister lives in New Mexico and mostly finds Diglett, Sandshrew, and Ponyta.

18 hours ago, redpanda said:

I'm lucky as well, Pokemon spawn in my apartment pretty regularly :). My neighborhood isn't very walk-able, sadly! Out of curiosity, which Pokemon are you finding in your area? I think it's really cool that different regions have different types of Pokemon. My friends up north find Jynx, for example, and my sister lives in New Mexico and mostly finds Diglett, Sandshrew, and Ponyta.

I'm in Arizona but just around my apartment I've found a lot of different kinds 

image.png