Interested in becoming a forum moderator? Contact a staff member for more information!

Daisy

Do You Think Coming Out Guides Are Useful?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I've seen a few these guides on a number of sites for the LGBT community but I'm not that sure that they are all that helpful. While a guide can offer some steps on what should be done they may not prepare someone for negative reactions that might follow and how they should respond to them.

Have any of you read any of these guides? Do you think someone who's struggling and unsure of how or when they should come out will find the information contained therein (in these coming out guides) helpful?

I think that I haven't read a proper coming out guide... but I think that it can be helpful for a lot of people, because I guess that some of those guides comes with steps, right? and sometimes you need to take it slowly, and that's what in my opinion, steps do. Trying to accept it yourself first and then you can go and confidently tell other people about it. 

But I have seen a lot of coming out videos experiences on YouTube especifically, and that has really been helpful to me, there are a lot of ways to come out and I don't know, I think that I can feel more related and motivated to see these people than by reading a guide. But I guess that there's something for everyone.  xD

I think it depends on your situation, you know? They might help most people go who through the same things (strict families, religious families, etc) but not everyone goes through exactly that. Maybe this is the most common coming out situation, but there should really be some other kinds of guides that go through specific situations. I still feel like most guides are really broad, and there are enough religious families coming out guides already!

I agree with the previous replies, it depends of various factors. I believe they can give an insight on how to approach the subject and tips on how to deal with various reactions, but I tend to think they're "the norm" and there's no way to know exactly what will happen when you come out. Every person is different, the same with every situation and while I believe they can give us an idea about things and seem to work on theory, they're not really that helpful in reality.

I think that knowing different stories and experiences of people who went through the same is more helpful.

It's hard to make a proper coming out guide because everyone is different. There are so many different factors that play into someone's life. A person could need solid advice for coming out to a religious family, but not every guide is going to know just how accepting their family members are. I'd love to see a guide that features different outcomes for different scenarios. It'd be nice for a guide to feature a negative outcome- because this is the reality of the situation. There are families and friends that might not be accepting and I wish that a guide would have told me that. I was fortunate enough to not have many issues, but there were some that I wish I saw coming.

I think that guides are useful, but they are lacking information that might be useful to the people that aren't going to have a positive outcome.

Coming out guides, interesting topic. 

I totally agree that everyone in in a unique situation, so a general coming out guide isn't really going to make things all better. However, reading some can't hurt. 

Before coming out, it's normal to feel scared and maybe even desperate, so even if they don't help a lot, at least they can give teenagers some perspective.

Yes, you will  always get valuable lessons by reading true stories. Life's lessons are not learned in classroom, life lessons are learned from the society, people living arund us.  Reading life of the people like us, will help us understand that we are not alone in this world.

I have never read any coming out guides :'D

I "worked" on myself, on my self esteem and then I just started telling people, at first with some degree of 'fear', then I started to see it's actually not that bad :)

IDK if coming out guides would have helped. They can't harm, like @Lilac89 said, but idk... I guess I felt like coming out isn't something one should learn, to each their own you know?

I have not read any such guides but they might offer help in time of confusing and frustration. 

While some points can give a positive approach ultimately it depends on how fitting it is in your current situation. 

I think they're useful. Even if they're not a perfect fit for everyone, they still help boost confidence. And every single drop of help is good in these cases :)