We regret to inform you that this forum will be shut down soon. For any questions, please contact us.

romy

Mental health & how it impacts you

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I think when a lot of us think of health we think of working out, eating right, and things like that...but how about mental health, too?

I've definitely had times in my life where I have had bouts of depression and anxiety - I still do grapple with anxiety a little bit  - I have learned techniques to manage it better, and that helps - but I always think it's important to know the things in life that calm you, or make you feel happier.

Working out does that for me, or getting a cup of coffee and having a chat with a friend, or spending time with my pets (animals are the BEST for making me feel better when I'm down - I think they just know!!) and so I try and engage in those kind of activities.

What do you do to look after yourself and keep mentally healthy?

Mental health is as important as physical health. However, many people do not care about mental health. If you have a minor injury on your hand you will rush to your doctor, however, if your head is burning you take an aspirin and ignore it. Or you are feeling low and worthless, you shut yourself in the room and go to sleep. Burning head and feeling of lowness may indicate different kinds of mental and psychological disease. However, many people ignore this.

It's actually kind of curious, because our physical health is really related to our mental health, you are not going to be able to function the best way if you haven't eaten or sleeping that well. But when it comes to trying to maintain a decent mental health I'm all about trying to cope with stress and anxiety doing a little list of things to make myself feeling better, such as hanging out with friends, meditate, etc.

Mental health is really important since it literally controls our entire body. I believe that our mind is really a piece of art. I often wondered how it could make us think, act and respond. I consider the mind as the battlefield about your dreams, conscience, desires, greed, doubts and all other stuff. A healthy mental mind would make us more productive and happy while a weak mental mind would make us depressed, negative and at the worst case suicidal. This is why I believe keeping the mind healthy is really important. I usually do this through reading inspirational or motivational books, relaxing in a peaceful environment, meditating, chatting  with loved ones and a nice cup of coffee or milk tea.

For someone who has seen her father battle with acute depress ion for 10 years, it is quite obvious that mental health has tremendous impact on your life as well as your loved one lives. If you have some kind of mental health issues, it is not only you who suffers, your entire family suffers. Bad thing about mental health is society tends to stigmatize people suffering mental diseases. Mental health is as important as physical health.

On 16/09/2016 at 11:12 PM, Chameli said:

For someone who has seen her father battle with acute depress ion for 10 years, it is quite obvious that mental health has tremendous impact on your life as well as your loved one lives. If you have some kind of mental health issues, it is not only you who suffers, your entire family suffers. Bad thing about mental health is society tends to stigmatize people suffering mental diseases. Mental health is as important as physical health.

I so agree with you @Chameli . Indeed it is because of the stigma,  many hide behind closed doors when have menral ill health. Infact the stage of denial makes help seeking behaviour more difficult in those suffering from mental ilnesses.

The very thought of I could be loosing it scares people deeper into depression. It is the caretaker's or family member's responsibilty to help you out of your dark times. Getting early treatment can save one from months of suffering.

The importance of mental health is a hot topic these days more than ever, and so it should be. I think in the past there as been a stigma attached to being diagnosed with anxiety or depression, so much so that people didn't go to their doctors and tried to carry on regardless, often with severe consequences.

With the help of charities and even prominent sports stars and celebrities coming out saying they have suffered, that in turn as helped others to actually stop ignoring the problem and not be afraid of the diagnosis that they may well have a mental illness. Here in the UK the biggest killer of men under 50 years old is suicide brought on from mental health issues, but with more and more people actually now being willing to discuss the matter openly, and not only that but do something about it, hopefully that may be a thing of the past.

Mental health is a struggle, and not only at those levels that we consider to be disease, as all of us fight it in our day-to-day. In my particular case, I tend to get way more stressed up when I don't do sports, so I have less patience for the kids as a symptom for example.

Also, food can have a huge impact on our mental health, specially in kids, as they eat loads of sugar and get hyperactive.

More awareness and research on this area is a big necessity! :hi:

Thinking about something clever to say here. :beach:

On 7/10/2016 at 8:53 AM, romy said:

I've definitely had times in my life where I have had bouts of depression and anxiety

Anxiety is the worst! I used to have many problems because of it, so I ended up taking mild medication to help. 

However, I knew why I was feeling like this, it was because I was in the closet and that made me nervous all the time and whenever I had to talk to someone or get out of the house, I felt the anxiety taking over.

I felt much much better after I accepted myself completely and came out. I'm not saying coming out is the cure for anxiety! Far from it. But it did help me feel more confident about myself. I also stopped taking the meds, thank god for that! 

I'm actually afraid of mental disorders, we've had those in our family and I really don't want to end up in a mental institution not now, not when I'll be old, not ever!

So, I read a lot. I exercise, whenever I can, I've read that helps too. I also know staying socially active is a BIG help to keep mentally healthy. 

I do struggle with some identity issues, but I try no to let that affect me from this very point of view. Which is why I joined this forum, why I read some LGBT related websites I like and try to figure myself out without putting too much stress on the "problem".