We regret to inform you that this forum will be shut down soon. For any questions, please contact us.

Roberta

Is digital art really art?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I see some vеry сlеvеr аnd fаnсy things bеing dоnе in digitаl аrt, but I wоuldn’t соmpаrе аnything I’vе sееn tо аnything I’vе sееn in thе Nаtiоnаl Gаllеry, Tаtе, еl Prаdо оr thе Lоuvrе. I'vе sееn sоmе lоvеly pаttеrns аnd sоmе intеrеstingly prоpоrtiоnеd wоmаn, but I сеrtаinly hаvеn’t sееn аnything thаt I’d bе willing tо frаmе аnd hаng оn my wаll.

Anything can be art, if you ask me, specially digital art that requires practice and skill developing. I think everything that has been thought of by an artist wanting to show a concept should be considered art. I mean, it depends on the taste, you might not like most digital works (believe me, I don't either) but there are some amazing paintings out there, I suggest you take a look on the portifolio site Behance, it's pretty good for discovering digital artists. 

Digital art is actually an art form.  The only difference between the digital art and traditional art is the medium used to create the artwork. Many people do not take digital art seriously because a digital art does not have a single piece just like traditional art.  There is only one Mona Lisa, however, when a digital artist creates he can create as many Mona Lisa as he can.  Because of this replication feature, digital art is not strong medium as traditional art form.

Well, I don't know pretty much anything about art, but in my opinion, almost everything is subjective, what you think that can be art, for another person is not really an art and vice versa. I think that we all need to stop for a moment and think about other people's perspective. Things change and art is not an exception, maybe digital artists are not that into classic art methods, but that doesn'tmean that is not art, I guess. 

I can't see how digital art, couldn't be art. Someone takes the time to draw everything out and really put creativity into their work. The way they go about creating is different, but they are still doing all of the work behind a computer screen. I've seen people do amazing pieces on their tablets. Some of the work is very similar to painting, except they are using a digital tool instead of a paintbrush. I could not even attempt to create some of the digital art I've seen- which leads me to believe it takes a huge amount of talent. Art is art, no matter how you create it.

I consider it art yes. There's a good example of this, for example when we didn't have computers all the music was made by recording through instruments. Nowadays you can make a song just with your own computer. Things evolve and people find new ways of making art. If it requires work, if it has a purpose, than, in my opinion, yes, it is art.

It's a genre of artistic expression, but it's not high art. I've seen some beautiful graffiti that I wouldn't put on my wall either because it's literally already on a wall. That doesn't mean it's not skillful or beautiful, just that it's not Da Vinci.

On 7/11/2016 at 8:40 AM, blotteracids said:

Anything can be art, if you ask me, specially digital art that requires practice and skill developing. I think everything that has been thought of by an artist wanting to show a concept should be considered art. I mean, it depends on the taste, you might not like most digital works (believe me, I don't either) but there are some amazing paintings out there, I suggest you take a look on the portifolio site Behance, it's pretty good for discovering digital artists. 

I totally agree with this. Art for me is something that a person does when he/she expresses something by doing creative stuffs, and digital art is one of them. Not only that but there can be also different types of arts that we can consider like recycling stuffs and converting them to something useful like plastic bottles, instead of throwing it we can use it as a plant box or paint it and make it a sort of a house decoration.

Thе quеstiоn hеrе is nоt is it аrt оr isn't it but rеаlly thе dеbаtе оn digitаl vs trаditiоnаl аrt stylеs соmеs dоwn tо "Dо wе trеаt digitаl аrt with thе sаmе rеspесt аs wе trеаt trаditiоnаl аrt аnd shоuld wе vаluе thеsе mеdiums еquаlly?"
With аrt thеrе sееms tо bе а сеrtаin dеgrее оf biаs аgаinst digitаl аrt vs trаditiоnаl аrts in mоst pеоplеs еyеs bесаusе I think thеy misundеrstаnd thе mеdium itsеlf rаthеr thаn thаt thеy think digitаl аrt is lеss imprеssivе visuаlly. 
Thе biаs sееms tо соmе frоm оur trаditiоnаl соnсеpt mеntаlly оf whаt аn аrtist is аs а pеrsоn аnd а stеrеоtypе аnd hоw thаt influеnсеs оur viеws оf thеir wоrk.

Digital Imagery/Photography/Painting/Graphics design/Etc are all art in a form of Digital Art. My paintings at home are all digital arts I made and some I am planning on selling. I have a friend who does digital art in a unique way, instead of just printing it on a flat paper he mold the paper into 3D arts (Papercraft). I'm actually thinking right now which is more profitable, Digital or Traditional. I'm planning on setting up my studio together with my BF but not sure what to pursue. I guess, for now, I'll try digital because I already have the tools needed for this.