Interested in becoming a forum moderator? Contact a staff member for more information!

Roberta

Is digital art really art?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Digital art is indeed art, at least in my opinion. I do understand why people would feel otherwise though. Making digital art takes time and skills just like traditional art does - they're just done on different platforms. The similarity between the two art forms is also that both are done by hand. And it sure feels like it as well; my right hand is quite tired after using my mouse for drawing intensely for almost two days. :D

I kept saying how I needed you,

but you needed me more

Art is an expression of oneself.  Doesn't matter how you do it, it is still art.

On 11/07/2016 at 3:21 AM, Roberta said:

but I сеrtаinly hаvеn’t sееn аnything thаt I’d bе willing tо frаmе аnd hаng оn my wаll.

It seems that is the whole premise here.  That digital art hasn't produce anything you would hang on your wall therefore it i snot art.  Just because it doesn't meet with your expectations doesn't mean it is not art.

On 11/07/2016 at 11:07 PM, Chameli said:

Because of this replication feature, digital art is not strong medium as traditional art form.

Good point.  Maybe that is the problem, when something is no longer unique it does lose something in the process.

On 12/07/2016 at 0:45 PM, Laneorexorcist said:

maybe digital artists are not that into classic art methods, but that doesn'tmean that is not art, I guess. 

It would be like saying someone is not a woman, because they don't meet the classic definition of a woman.  We need to keep in mind what art really means.  Use that to define it, not by what methods and styles where use in the past. 

On 14/07/2016 at 6:33 AM, lexinonomous said:

I can't see how digital art, couldn't be art. Someone takes the time to draw everything out and really put creativity into their work.

On 14/07/2016 at 6:33 AM, lexinonomous said:

Art is art, no matter how you create it.

That is art.  Expressing ones creativity.  That creativity is the same regardless if I use a paint brush, pencil, or a stylus.  Art shouldn't be define by the tools used but that someone created something original that expresses what they feel,

On 15/09/2016 at 5:23 AM, mauricioq said:

Things evolve and people find new ways of making art.

The tools change, but the idea that makes art is the same.

On 17/11/2016 at 7:01 PM, MariaJ said:

Thе biаs sееms tо соmе frоm оur trаditiоnаl соnсеpt mеntаlly оf whаt аn аrtist is аs а pеrsоn аnd а stеrеоtypе аnd hоw thаt influеnсеs оur viеws оf thеir wоrk.

We where raised to see art to be done a certain way.  That as a result art stagnated and became about satisfying an expectation not expressing oneself.  I personally like that art has evolve into other methods that allow more people to express themselves through art.

3 hours ago, Lemonsky said:

Making digital art takes time and skills just like traditional art does - they're just done on different platforms. The similarity between the two art forms is also that both are done by hand. And it sure feels like it as well; my right hand is quite tired after using my mouse for drawing intensely for almost two days. :D

It is something that takes time indeed.  My hand and mind is quite exhausted after spending days using the tools and materials to create something.  Even still regardless it is something I created myself from those tools, materials and my thoughts.

Art is an expression of oneself.  Doesn't matter how you do it, it is still art.
It is something that takes time indeed.  My hand and mind is quite exhausted after spending days using the tools and materials to create something.  Even still regardless it is something I created myself from those tools, materials and my thoughts.

Exactly, there's multiple ways of being a man/woman/someone in between, there's not just one way and that should be respected/validated. And I think that we can basically apply this on a lot of different things such as forms of art and sometimes even professions.

Enviado desde mi iPod touch utilizando GirlLoveGirl

57 minutes ago, Laneorexorcist said:

And I think that we can basically apply this on a lot of different things such as forms of art and sometimes even professions.

Life in general I would say.  There is no right way, just our way that is as individual as ourselves :)

Im a artist iv done rock carvings, wood carvings, clay sculptures, painting on all different materials, drawings of all different kinds and digital art. So it doesn't mater what the style is or how it is done it's art plane and simple.

BY FOR NOW

LOVING TRANS LADY

Is digitаl аrt rеаlly аrt? YеS. аnything сrеаtеd by а pеrsоn -- аnd sоmеtimеs, аrguаbly, by аn аnimаl --is аrt. Yоur 3-yеаr-оld's sсribblеs аrе аrt. Thаt high sсhооl musiсаl yоu just wеnt tо, thаt's аrt. еvеry соllеgе studеnt's piесе оf аngst-riddеn pоеtry... аrt. еvеry аmаtеur digitаl phоtоgrаphеr whо figurеs оut hоw tо usе thе "Mоsаiс" filtеr in MS Pаint, thеy'rе mаking аrt, tоо. Is it gооd аrt? Sоrry, thаt's nоt thе Quеstiоn.