We regret to inform you that this forum will be shut down soon. For any questions, please contact us.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roberta

Why аrе mеn spоrts mоrе pоpulаr thаn wоmеn spоrts?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Trаditiоnаlly, spоrts hаvе bееn vеry muсh аbоut suppоrting trаditiоnаl dеfinitiоns оf mаlе mаsсulinity. Thе whоlе spоrts systеm wаs sеtup tо dо thаt. Wоmеn’s spоrt hаs gеnеrаlly sеrvеd аs аn impliсit сhаllеngе tо mаlе mаsсulinity аnd sеrvеs аs а thrеаt tо thаt. Mаlе suprеmасy аnd mаlе dоminаnсе gеnеrаlly is nоt sоmеthing mоst mеn wаnt сhаllеngеd.
Thеsе histоriсаl issuеs соntinuе tо this dаy thrоugh idеоlоgiсаl еntrеnсhmеnt, аnd thе systеm mеаnt tо dеfеnd it. If yоu dоubt this, gо аsk mоst mеn whiсh fеmаlе spоrtspеоplе аrе bеttеr thаn thеir mаlе соuntеrpаrts оr whiсh wоmеn соuld plаy in mеn’s (оr mеn's dоminаtеd) lеаguеs.
Whаt dо yоu think?

I think more men usually follow sports, or are involved with sports in some way.   Some men seem to be taught to feel less masculine if they don't enjoy or follow sports.   It's my guess that there are plenty of men who watch the Super Bowl only for the commercials.

I think for a lot of sports, they started out with only mens leagues to begin with. So I think now as more women's leagues pop up in a lot of sports we will see more interest in them. I think it's something that just takes time to build a following - but I do believe 100% it will happen!

Women aren't really drawn to sports anyway as compared to men. Some do like to watch sports, but they never seem to enjoy playing them themselves. They just would like to watch. 

While on the other hand, most men seem to instinctively love sports, and that seems to be quite a common hobby for them. I guess it's a simple case of gender stereotypes, where males are connected to rough activities like sports, and women are connected to feminine hobbies like fashion for example.

Men sports are more popular than women sports because men have been playing sports since ages and sports is a latest discovery for women.  The first known sports tournament is Olympic. Olympic games were organized in Greece to celebrate manhood while women were the spectators. Sports is more of a how of physical prowess and this is lacking in women.

Honestly, this is something I've never thought about.   It really wouldn't surprise me if this had something to do with men dominating  sports.   There isn't a sport that I can think of that women really dominate. I think that women are fully capable of being talented and really becoming good at their craft, but sadly it is more common to  see a man playing really well.   The only time that I see women  as the center of attention in the sports categories is when I'm watching the Olympics. It usually takes a woman doing something extremely well in order to be noticed. Sadly, there is a stigma when it comes to women being "terrible" at physical activities. 

Well based on the History that I've read, sports has started to be a hunting game for people and hunters are usually men and women just stay indoors to feed their kids and do the house chores. Even in the military, sports has been a way for them to see whom is most fit and is a more capable warrior and back in the past, they don't include women in their ranks. I personally love sports most specially Volleyball, I can say that Volleyball fits women more, than men. I asked my boyfriend about how he see Volleyball and his notion is that it's more of a girly sport than of a sport for men, well I can see his point because Volleyball in our country has been a sports for girls for so many years.

I wasn't aware of the origin of sports in relation to gender. Since boys naturally love outdoor sports from the childhood unlike majority of girls who rather play with dolls and kitchen sets I guess it just the way we are build up.

Not that I am saying women can't or don't play extreme sports or have climbed Everest but majority are men.