Interested in becoming a forum moderator? Contact a staff member for more information!

romy

Smoking

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

On October 16, 2016 at 5:25 PM, romy said:

I used to smoke when I was younger, but now the smell just makes me want to be sick!

Does anyone here smoke? Have you tried quitting?

If you've mananged to quit, what strategies worked best for you?

I'm a current smoker, but I have quit in the past for about a year. I tried to just go cold turkey but it became unbearable. So I tried the Nicotine Patch and it seemed to help a lot. Needless to say after I took the patch off I started smoking again. Maybe I will try again soon, hopefully with success this time.:blush:

On 31/12/2016 at 1:34 PM, to7update said:

I smoked 2 years between 16 and 18 years old. Stopped. Smoked again between 20 and 22 and stopped again, and that was it. I will never smoke again because that is a disgusting habit, bad to my health and to those around me. My technique to quit was that because I had respiratory infections haha. :boast:

Glad you managed to quit @Alexa. :)

I'ma  smoker and have been for a number of years now although I have quit for a couple of years in the past but then all of a sudden started again. If you have a genuine reason to stop like you had @to7update like it's affecting your health, or like a lot of other people have said for financial reasons, then I do think that it's a lot easier. I gave up because at the time I was spending to much and I had more important things to spend my money on.

Now I'm on a higher wage, comfortable in life with no health issues and so I enjoy having an occasional cigarette. I suppose one good thing is that I've only ever smoked maybe 2 or 3 cigarettes a day anyway, and while it's obviously still harmful it's not a massive issue for me, and some days I can go without having any at all but I do feel better knowing that if I wanted one then I always have a packet on me.

That's a really good reason to quit @pwarbi, financial, but if we think about it we will save a lot of money, we will improve our health, so what are we doing really? Our hygiene will be better too, meaning we will not stink when we get close to others, it's an insane habit and should be illegal!

Interesting that you just smoke 2-3 per day, as when I restarted to smoke I immediately went back to close to one pack per day.

On 30/01/2017 at 3:28 PM, to7update said:

That's a really good reason to quit @pwarbi, financial, but if we think about it we will save a lot of money, we will improve our health, so what are we doing really? Our hygiene will be better too, meaning we will not stink when we get close to others, it's an insane habit and should be illegal!

Interesting that you just smoke 2-3 per day, as when I restarted to smoke I immediately went back to close to one pack per day.

Smoking will never be made illegal though because the governments earn too much money from the taxes. It kind of throws into question just how good all these quit smoking signs and campaigns that we see are. On top of that, I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all, but it's even been mentioned that the governments earn almost as much selling the stop smoking paraphernalia as what they do the cigarettes themselves sop they're in a win/win situation no matter what we do.

And I've only ever been a light smoker and a lot of people say the you might as well just stop altogether then if you're only smoking a couple, but I have to admit that I do enjoy it every now and again as it does help me to relax so I don't even want to quit if I'm being honest which I'm sure will offend or shock some people.

Yeah, that's the sad reality of what happens in tobacco, coffee, alcohol, food, medicines, entertainment (am I leaving something out? :D) industries, it's all about the money and not what is better for our health and not even what makes sense.

Smoking is just the tip of the iceberg. :vinsent:

Many congrats to the ones who quit! With big shame I have to admit I kinda smoke a lot. My friends know, but my parents don't. They have never forbidden it, but I'm afraid to tell them. So I just smoke when I'm out of the house. 

Problem is, I smoke a lot, and would really love to be able to cut back. But whenever my dark thoughts take over, I just light one up, and then another, and then another and I don't even realize it ! I often feel alone, and confused and smoking calms me down. 

I don't smoke and I don't like the smell of it either. On the contrary, my hubby smokes a lot and I'm so pissed when he smoke inside our house. I've been telling him a hundred times, probably a thousand times to quit smoking but he doesn't seem to listen :( He said he's trying but he can't and it's just hard for him to kick the habit. I told him to lessen his daily cigarette consumption until he smokes no more and it's been 5 years now and he still smokes the same :/ 

I have never smoked, not even a 'puff', although both my parents are heavy smokers. I guess, instead of picking up the habit, I learned to hate it. They both seem to be hypnotized by that cigarette and they keep telling me it's not ok to smoke, bad for the health, smelly smelly habit, yet they puff them after each meal like there's no tomorrow! I was never curious about it and I don't think I'll ever be, which is good because cigarettes are expensive :D