We regret to inform you that this forum will be shut down soon. For any questions, please contact us.

sarahc

Where do lesbian stereotypes come from?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have 2 female colleagues at work. One is new (been working with us only for a couple of weeks now), and the other one is my friend, she has short hair, dresses casual all the time (comfy pants, large hoodies and so on..) and wears little to no makeup at all. 

So, yesterday, the new girl and I were talking and, somehow, she asked me if our other colleague is a lesbian! I told her there's no way she's lesbian, she has a family and a happy marriage (to a man), so I asked why did she think that, and the answer was.. she just assumed, because of the clothes and no makeup and all, and I found out there are quite a few people who got the same impression first time they met my colleague.

I blame the media. I've thought about it a lot and can't really figure out where do these lesbian stereotypes come from. 

I was wondering if anyone here has any input on where you think lesbian stereotypes come from? What do you think? 

I agree with you, it's mostly because of the media... And I think that in general lesbians are portrayed as the "opposite" of being a "feminine" woman in the eyes/concepts of society, so the opposite of being feminine for society is basically what your colleague is, and I guess that's why she was labeled that way. I think that the same thing happens with gay men though...

Enviado desde mi iPod touch utilizando GirlLoveGirl

I need to get something out ASAP : I hate labels! There, I said it! Now, moving on.

I believe it's also society that encourages the media. I mean, it's impossible that EVERYONE believes EVERYTHING the media says...

Maybe it's a coping mechanism? Like, maybe society doesn't 'agree' with women not wearing make-up and acting butch. So, they're automatically labeled as the 'butch lesbians', the 'guy' in a lesbian relationship if you will. Which is totally BS... But what do people know? Maybe they've never even met a lesbian couple before so it's easy to portray people the wrong way in your head. 

I have no idea.

I'm feminine, and always have been. I don't even believe in stereotypes. I actually had my jaw drop a few times when seeing some gay stereotypes being portrayed on TV ! 

Well I think its really funny I look very feminin but I love women and at times men I have two beautiful daughters who are 21 and 12 they both like both boy's and girls and we are all very much feminin we ware make up and tight jeans cute hair style ehy do we have to be classified ?

Sent from my SM-G900P using GirlLoveGirl.net mobile app

Stereotypes... hmmm.. I don't know.

Movies maybe? 

TV is fake, fake, fake, but when you keep seeing movies or TV series that portray women as butch or what have you, you can't help but think maybe it's the same in reality too!

I don't really have an answer either. Could it be an individual perception. I am feminine but rarely wear much make up. I was into no dress and only pants and jeans for pretty straight five years and yet never had such a comment. 

Could this be environmental related in the sense that, people believe what popular belief is in a certain area?

On 05/03/2017 at 5:24 AM, baru said:

Closed minds

I agree! 

On 06/03/2017 at 10:21 AM, 17Peanuts said:

Movies maybe? 

TV is fake, fake, fake

It's very possible! I'm also appalled at times by the stuff they show in tv!

On 11/03/2017 at 1:54 PM, Decentlady said:

Could this be environmental related in the sense that, people believe what popular belief is in a certain area?

I actually never thought about this. But I think I live in a pretty open-minded area, which is why I was so surprised to see some of my co workers react so strongly to my co-worker's sense of style :D

Stereotypes don't bother me, as long as you learn to ignore other people's opinions and focus on what's important for you, you should be fine. I only hope more people would understand that you can't judge a book by it's cover...