Join our first ever forum contest here:565_rainbow:

sarahc

Do you find it difficult to hide a relationship?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have lesbian friends and they are really having a hard time having to abstain from holding hands or kissing in public.Which is awful because they're such great people! I always feel so sad when we go out together and I get to "enjoy" my boyfriend and they can't :(:(:(

I think it should not be difficult for certain societies or countries to hide their relationship where people stay reserve or within themselves but in certain societies where everything becomes talk of the town it is hard to hide such relations. Girls are at an advantageous position as far this relationship and keeping it a secret is concerned as they can stay behind closed doors for longer hours and get away.

Platonic girlfriends can be a lot more physically affectionate than guys can without people thinking they're a couple, so I'd say it's harder for guys.  Society has pretty stringent "rules" in place as to how straight guy friends are supposed to act, and they're expected to be more reserved with physical affection than platonic girlfriends.

Personally I don't know if I could do a relationship with someone who's in the closet.  I really dislike the idea of hiding a relationship like I'm ashamed of it.  I know it's not that simple for some people's family situations though.

I think that it depends on how serious the relationship is... I used to hide my relationship with my ex boyfriend because it was really hard for me to really accept my sexuality, but now I already accepted it and I don't have problems with that part anymore, but I'm kind of dating this guy who is deep down in the closet, and now I feel like I'm on the other side, you know? At this point it's nothing serious but what would happen if the relationship really starts to grow? So... For now it would be a 5.

@Laneorexorcist you raise a  very interesting point. Are you saying it's easier to hide the relationship if it's not that serious? And also, would you say being with someone that you can get serious with can give you the confidence you need to come out and stop hiding?