Interested in becoming a forum moderator? Contact a staff member for more information!

luri

Can you be friend with someone who dislikes LGBT

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I have many friends who dislike LGBT. As long as not talking on :LGBT issues, we interact in a friendly manner. We help and support each other, Sometimes we even stand for each other. We never talk on the subject we disapprove. For instance, they never talk against LGBT in front of me and I never vouch for LGBT with them.

Well, we can compartmentalize a relationship and make it work, especially with friends, as we don't have to agree on everything. At the same time, if we are really close friends I find hard to believe that we can disagree on something as important as this. ;)

Thinking about something clever to say here. :beach:

Hi @luri, friends who are anti-LGBT are long gone (and will be gone) in my circle of friends. I prefer making friends with LGBT people (duhhh), but I don't mind at all to make friends with LGBT friendly straight people (many of my good friends are). Though I feel there's a gap between us, that never really bothers me. What bothers me a lot is the fact that friends that are anti-LGBT, I will remove myself silently from this kind of friendship because there's no point arguing with them about it. They might change one day about how they think, but it's not my interest to change their mind.

2 hours ago, to7update said:

if we are really close friends I find hard to believe that we can disagree on something as important as this.

This. I think having something in common is one of the only few reasons why people became close friends.

🌈 forum: https://girllovegirl.net | 🌈 social network: https://lgbt.io

14_289146.png

Yeah, friendship is always made about something in common, a common interest. It can be LGBT, it can be sports, it can be family, you name it, but to get along with someone we need to share something and that other major things about that person do not get in the way, or else the relationship simply doesn't flow and I don't feel comfortable in it.

Nothing like being with those we can relate with. :assassin:

If me and another person don't share the same views on the things important to me, than I cannot call them my friend. I can call the an acquaintance and still hang out, but for someone to be my friend, I need to be comfortable around them, talking about anything, LGBT & lesbianism issues included.

On 1/2/2017 at 3:34 PM, to7update said:

Yeah, friendship is always made about something in common, a common interest. It can be LGBT, it can be sports, it can be family, you name it, but to get along with someone we need to share something and that other major things about that person do not get in the way, or else the relationship simply doesn't flow and I don't feel comfortable in it.

Nothing like being with those we can relate with. :assassin:

In my experience and observation, you can be friends with people who have different views. Remember the laws of attraction :opposite attracts.

To become good friends you do not have to agree on every issue.

I agree on that @Iuri, and I have the best example with my wife, as we are very much different, but we do attract each other and end up learning from one another. I think it's so hard to explain relationships, as there is no formula to make them work, but I do feel that a relationship for a couple and for friends is very different. Each case is a case though. :)

I can't care less on what my friend's opinion are on sexuality in general.

This is because if you start detaching yourself from all the people with different opinion you would end up realising that even among people with same sexuality-likes, have varied interests.  

It is like detaching yourself from your parents if they are anti-LGBT. It is best that you avoid talking about this topic when in their company rather than dropping out on friendship.

Since I haven't befriended a person who dislikes LGBT yet, I'm not exactly sure how it would go. If the person was actively bashing the community even if it wasn't the main topic at the moment, it'd be something I wouldn't probably tolerate. There has been one person that doesn't support LGBT people (meaning that he doesn't exactly support them but doesn't hate them either) and we've been getting along just well. So as long as it doesn't evolve into a heated argument, it could be pretty much fine by me.

Now that I think about it, my group of friends have actually been discussing about homosexual people and two of them have had quite negative views about them. We're still friends though as there are many kinds of opinions out there after all. Those friends of mine also have to put up with me whining about 'excessive physical contact' all the time so I guess we're even. ^o^"

I kept saying how I needed you,

but you needed me more

Now you got me puzzled there @Lemonsky, so two of your friends have negative views on homosexual people? In what way?

More, what do you mean about whining regarding excessive physical contact? :D