We regret to inform you that this forum will be shut down soon. For any questions, please contact us.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DJam

How do you relax?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

A few years ago, I discovered the ASMR community on YouTube.  ASMR stands for Autonomous  Sensory Meridian Response which is a fancy name for the tingles you get when someone plays with your hair, gently touches you, does your make up, or speaks softly. Not everyone experiences it but there's a growing community of people, including myself, who finally have a name for something we've experienced our whole lives. Even if you don't experience the tingles of ASMR, the videos are great for relaxation and sleep. There's even people who say they help with their anxiety and depression.  I listen to them every day, especially when I'm trying to relax and get ready to go to sleep. When I can't get my mind to quiet down about the worries of the day, it gives me something else to focus on.

Kind of a weird suggestion, but do you play video games? Games really help me destress in a weird way; when I can't seem to turn off my brain and stop thinking about unpleasant things, it really helps to just take some time and get wrapped up in one specific task. Especially if you can find a really calming game to get into like The Sims or things like that. It's not for everyone, but it's fun and good for relaxing in my opinion.

When I arrive home after a long day at work, or full of stress. I like to put my headphones, play my chilling playlist full of slow songs and go smoke a cigarette in the window. After that I just lay in my bed with my playlist playing on the speakers. Helps a lot!

I've tried meditation before, it's generally the first thing my friends like to recommend, but sitting still and quieting my buzzing brain is difficult. Even with guided meditation. :P I think I just find more enjoyment out of focusing my attention on crafting or solving something.

@redpanda I'm actually working on self-publishing my first adult coloring book! My mother-in-law is really into them and she showed me there's a whole adult world to coloring books, (even that kind of adult, haha) it's pretty awesome.

@lexinonomous Smoke is a little too rough on my throat, but when I can afford edibles it really is a pleasant for-sure way to relax~

@omgchels That sounds really interesting, actually. I do enjoy feeling those tingles when my hair is played with. It reminds me of documentary clips that explain how animals use grooming as a way to form stronger bonds. Heh. :) I'm not sure if listening to rain counts, but I do like to play Rainy Mood when it's difficult for me to sleep. Which reminds me, when it comes to relaxing musically, I highly recommend simultaneously playing Rainy Mood and Chillhop Cafe ( it's a neat 24/7 streamed radio that plays chill and jazzy beats ). Especially nice to have playing during chores and boring stuff.

@ladydaydream I LOVE video games! It's just tough to find time to play them how I enjoy playing them - which is, for hours and hours on end so I get super involved in the storytelling. I am determined to dedicate time in my schedule for No Man's Sky, however! Otherwise I only really play games when I have friends over or when GF insists on co-op Let's Playing or something.

When I'm stressed or just having a rough day I love listening to music. It actually depends on my mood, when I'm angry or sad-angry I like to do small lipsynch and just dancing all around my room, lol. And when I'm not feeling like dancing I just lay on my bed, put my headphones on, trying to not think about anything and I love listening to grimes really loud, she's amazing!

When I need to relax I always go on netflix and find a really distracting TV show. Usually soap opera, but I also love comedy and mystery as well. I'm currently hooked on Lost (yeah yeah, i'm a bit late believing in the hype). When I'm stressed I also do some Yoga, but not always (I'm really lazy.) Stretching is one of the best things to get rid of tight muscles, which is a symptom of stress.

Since I lead quite an active lifestyle I need to diffuse quite often. I travel from city to city a lot and do lots of workouts and dance practices. This wears you out quite quickly, so to relax I love just being by myself for a day or an evening to just listen to some relaxing music, drink a cup of cocoa or cook something that i really enjoy.  Sometimes I will take a bath or let my friend give me a back rub. Also I really love doing yoga for relaxation, especially outside by the lake or the sea.

It depends often on the root cause of the stress as to how I deal with it - but usually I find that working out helps! I guess it's the endorphins or something but getting out and moving really helps clear my mind!

Also, talking to people about why I'm stressed and getting it out in the open helps too! Often my friends will have a strategy for how to deal with the stress that maybe I hadn't considered.

On 6/29/2016 at 1:56 PM, DJam said:

@omgchels That sounds really interesting, actually. I do enjoy feeling those tingles when my hair is played with. It reminds me of documentary clips that explain how animals use grooming as a way to form stronger bonds. Heh. :) I'm not sure if listening to rain counts, but I do like to play Rainy Mood when it's difficult for me to sleep. Which reminds me, when it comes to relaxing musically, I highly recommend simultaneously playing Rainy Mood and Chillhop Cafe ( it's a neat 24/7 streamed radio that plays chill and jazzy beats ). Especially nice to have playing during chores and boring stuff.

Actually, there's quite a few awesome ASMR videos that include rain sounds which are either natural (as in it was raining when the person filled the video and you can hear it) or edited into the video specifically because a lot of people find it relaxing. If you like having your hair played with, I definitely suggest you check out this channel in particular. They're one of the best when it comes to hair brushing, hair play, and haircut videos.  Here's a link to a playlist that's just hair videos.

Musiс.

I sing, plаy thе piаnо, оr listеn tо sоmеthing.

Sоlitudе.

Bеing аblе tо gеt аwаy fоr а bit tо dесоmprеss оn my оwn, еvеn if оnly fоr а fеw minutеs.

Shоwеring.

Thеrе is nоthing likе gеtting intо thе shоwеr аnd lеtting аll yоur саrеs  wаsh аwаy аs yоu gеt сlеаn. Wаrm wаtеr саsсаding dоwn, swееt smеlling  bubblеs аnd sоft wаshсlоths. 

Tеа.

Mаking а сup оf tеа, wаiting fоr thе wаtеr tо bоil, pоuring it, stееping it, prеpаring it (by аdding milk), thеn drinking it. Vеry rеlаxing.