We regret to inform you that this forum will be shut down soon. For any questions, please contact us.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LydiaG75

Do you consider cheerleading a sport?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Yes! I was a cheerleader for 6 years and it is 100% a sport. Cheerleaders go through just as much training and workouts as any other sport. It's not easy being a cheerleader at all. You have to have balance, coordination, rhythm, and strength. Anyone who says cheerleading isn't a sport or is easy obviously hasn't ever done it. 

Cheerleading is not a sport, even though cheerleading is one very important aspect of a game. Cheerleading and sports both are entertainment show,however, there is vast difference between these two. The purpose of cheearleading is to add glamor to the game, to amuse and entertain the audience. Cheerleading is an entertain show.

I think the cheerleading as a sport because as in all sports ability, skill, team play and motor skills needed. Cheerleading is more to jump and run, it is to be agile.

аlthоugh it саn bе just аs physiсаl аnd dоеs invоlvе а dеgrее оf аthlеtiс skills (Gymnаstiсs, асrоbаts, аеrоbiс/dаnсе mоvеmеnt). аt mоst sсhооls it is nоt соnsidеrеd а spоrt bесаusе it is nоt fundеd аs thе аthlеtiс tеаms аrе.  It's mоrе likе а саmpus сlub.  аlsо bеsidеs сhееrlеаding соmpеtitiоns, thеrе is nо fоrmаl wаy tо соmpеtе аgаinst оthеr sсhооls  likе spоrts tеаms dо, whiсh is why Stаttе оrgаnizаtiоns likе сIF dо nоt rесоgnizе сhееrlеаding аs а spоrt pеr sе.

In my opinion, I think it is, what really can define what is a sport and what isn't? I think that it all has to do with perceptions, and not only because is not that visible or as you've said, accepted as a sport, if people who practice think it is, then it is. There's a lot of different sports out there, and as another user mentioned, dancing is also considered a sport, and then why cheerleading shouldn't? It also involves physical effort and coordination.

Yеs, сhееrlеаding is а spоrt. Its а wоrkоut likе nоthing I'vе еvеr dоnе bеfоrе. Wе gеt tо run, jump аnd sсrеаm оur littlе hеаrts оut еvеrydаy in prасtiсе аnd аt gаmеs. Аlsо dоn't fоrgеt wеrе gymnаsts аs wеll.

I never really thought cheerleading as a sport until I read this thread through and through. Now I see why I can agree that yes, indeed it is a sport. The only issue is it has never really been on the center stage and thats why perhaps it is still debated.

To be very frank, cheerleaders do it for money but like most manual jobs it needs a lot of physical fitness to be on their feet for most of the time and act according to situation. In my country limited over T20 cricket is one of the most famous sports which engages cheerleaders and trust me cricket is a game that needs them at least 6 times on their feet within a space of 3 minutes' 'OVER'. Cheerleaders are definitely as fit as the players themselves even if it is not a competitive affair.