Interested in becoming a forum moderator? Contact a staff member for more information!

SElf

Is proposing on partner's birthday (or any special dates) a good idea?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

A reply made by one of our beloved members (you might know who you are :P ) mentioning something about choosing the right timing to break up reminds me of an idea that I dislike personally. But how many of us really like special events to happen on special dates? Let me explain with an example: a boyfriend thinks it's the best idea to propose to his girlfriend on her birthday, so he proposed on her birthday.

I am not a pessimist, but I am just rather careful in things like this. Imagine if in case the marriage is broken in the future because the husband cheated on the wife and they divorced. This means the wife will be reminded of her past marriage and cheating husband for the rest of her life on her birthday every year.

My example might sounds terrible, but yeah :P 

Hehe. Despute being hilariously put you make a valid point. I too am somehow not a fan of two occasions coinciding other than other people's important dates falling on the same day.. 

I rather have two separate dates for two different memories. I don't want to be confused whether to laugh or cry on a particular day:P

Well, it depends. I personally would not do it, but what attracted me to this thread was the fact that my parents were married on the birthday of my mother, and some years later (I can't really say, but surely over 30) and some ups and downs, they are still together and feelings still exist. I think this is what we can aspire for, so the date isn't really that important is it? :P

I also think proposing on special dates is not a good idea. 

The reason the OP stated is one. But I also have another reason: a marriage proposal has to be a separate kind of special. 

Besides, why should you get just 1 present because 2 dates coincide? :innocent: Isn't it better to get 1 birthday present and another present for the anniversary? :'D

In my opinion, proposing on your partner's birthday can be a good idea. It can be served as a special birthday gift to her that she will never forget for the rest of her life. Whether their marriage succeeded or failed, I think it won't affect one's special day because somehow, it became a special part of her memory. And even if one proposed on their partner's birthday, the wedding day will definitely be on a separate date, and that's the one couple's usually celebrate, their wedding anniversary, not the engagement day :)

Haha, I love to see how everyone has a different opinion. Knowing my dad, I think he thought it was romantic to set the date on the birthday, so a huge party could be made. It can go the other way around too, as later the couple split up and that day starts carrying a bad memory. Who gets married thinking about divorce though? :drinks:

:newrussian:

3 hours ago, to7update said:

Who gets married thinking about divorce though?

You got your point, no one of course. ;)

But I've seen and heard a few that proposed on special dates like birthday then divorced, which comes the idea of whether or not it's okay to propose on such a special date of a person. And as @98Nettysaid, it's good to have another date for the special event!

The fact that we make such a big decision is important enough, so the date is totally secondary to me. I never know the date when I met my wife, or when we started to date, but I do remember our wedding date. It was randomly picked, but I would be fine it was on my birthday as I am not planning on getting a divorce. :)

It all depends on the partner. It all depends on the specific person. Some may enjoy this birthday surprise, and others may have their birthday ruined....