Interested in becoming a forum moderator? Contact a staff member for more information!

lexinonomous

When did you accept sexuality?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Personally, it took me a great deal of time to finally come to terms with who I was. As a child, I would look at women on television and envision my future with another woman. I didn't find it odd because I was taught to accept others growing up, but I had convinced myself that this was merely a phase and I was not truly attracted to other women. Growing up, I still continuously denied myself and accepted the fact that "being attracted to women did not mean that I was truly attracted to them." To put it simply- I was continuously denying the fact that I was bisexual. The stigma that came with being bisexual and "faking" it did not help as well.

I finally accepted myself for who I was about a year ago. Although I am not completely open with my sexuality, I have finally told myself that it's okay to feel this way and I'm just another normal human being on this planet. It's relieving to finally say "I like women and there's nothing wrong with that."

When did you accept your sexuality?
What made you hold back?

I'm 19 years old and only last month was I able to accept myself fully and share my 'strange' love for girls. I doubted it for a long time, maybe because of the concept I had about a healthy family, one created by a girl and a boy, not two girls. At the age of 17teen I had a boyfriend who betrayed me with a very beautiful girl and instead of being angry with him I couldn’t get out of my mind that beautiful and sensitive girl. I still appreciate spending time with her and we are close friends, though she likes boys. I realized that loving a girl was perfectly fine and in fact it is a gift! Recognizing that I came into this life to experience love and joy beyond limitations of other people’s beliefs made me stronger and gave me confidence to tell the truth to my parents.  “We want you to love because this way you are in alignment with source energy, and we don’t care who you love…”-says Abraham Hicks (represents non physical entities, infinite intelligence). Understanding why you came in this world really helps you to fully accept and embrace yourself.

I completely feel you on the "faking it" stigma. I actually still get that as an adult...even from other LGBT people :(. I'm currently dating a man and that makes it even worse. People don't realize that if you're bi, your dating pool is still mostly going to be people of the opposite sex. I've dated both men and women but, even though I'm overall more attracted to women, I've still dated more men.

I originally realized I had feelings for women in late elementary school. As an adult, I found a diary I wrote in fifth grade. I recall asking my mom what I should write about in the diary. She gave me some ideas, including "you could write about someone you have a crush on". The only two diary entries were about a popular girl in school. If asked about crushes, I used to just mimic what other girls in my class were saying.

My sexuality became more obvious throughout my teens and I dated a couple of women. I didn't come out to my mom and siblings until a year and a half ago, though. Since I'm in a serious relationship with a man, it was easy to fake being straight. My dad still doesn't know, he's said some awful stuff about LGBT people so I'm not sure I'll ever bring it up.

For me, Ive known for as long as I can remember.  Even as a small child, I had crushes on boys and girls. My family has been in denial most of my life (to be honest, they probably still are), but I've always known to some degree. 

I knew i had strong feelings for girls but i did not understand it back then. I grew up in a remote area where LGBT was not mentioned and i knew nothing about it. I came to understand my sexuality when i was way older after finishing high school. It took me some time (3 years) to com to terms with it. At first i was in denial and started dating a man just to prove to myself that i was "normal" but with time i started meeting other members and attending events where we i would learn about my sexuality. Now i don't hide it anymore. I am confident and proud of who i am and the society is more open minded as well which is a good thing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think I've always known I was bi, since I was a little kid. I always shrugged it off and explained it away as an admiration for girls, but deep down I think I always knew there was something more to it. I came to terms with my sexuality in 2012, maybe 2013. It's one of the best thing that's ever happened to me, and it helped a lot to understand some other parts of my life I was never happy with.

Edited by blotteracids
grammar

It took me awhile, but I think I realized it in 2012 when I was a freshman in high school. I'm bisexual, so I had feelings for guys too, but for some reason I felt a stronger magnetism towards girls in a way that I couldn't explain.  I think I fully realized that I liked girls when I had to do a group project with a girl I was really close with and then I realized that I actually had a crush on her. It was strange yet liberating!

I've known I was attracted to both men and women for a long time and I've always been fairly open about the fact with people. My friends have known for years, probably since I was around 10 or so. However my family still don't know and I probably won't ever have any need to tell them as I don't really talk to any of my family anyway.

My father in particular is really anti-everything. He's not only anti-LGBT but he's racist, ageist and sexist too. He believes women shouldn't be allowed to work and should stay at home and cook,  clean and look after the children while their husbands work.  My mother isn't much better although she's more tolerant than he is. 

I accepted my sexuality more when I decided it didn't really matter what other people say or do regarding who I am as a person. I felt more happy with who I was once I stopped caring what others said or did. 

I remember being at the park with my girl friend (not girlfriend) in middle school and all of the sudden I wanted to kiss her and I felt so bad about it and tried to suppress it and forget about it.  It happened more and more though as I got older.  I think I finally excepted it when I kissed a girl for the first time.  It was the summer after 10th grade.  I then told her I liked girls and she said she could tell since I had just kissed her.

Weirdly enough, I think I've always known ever since I was a child. I remember having crushes on both boys and girls, and I never really stepped back and thought, huh, is this weird? It always seemed completely natural to me, and I didn't find out until later that it was a little more uncommon than I had expected. So I never really had any feelings of denial, or that I was faking it, or ever confused. In that way, I think I got pretty lucky - except for maybe the reactions of my parents, which were negative to say the least.