Join our first ever forum contest here:565_rainbow:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cafwen

Is gun control an LGBT issue?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I just saw an interesting article that speaks about how LGBT people are  disproportionately affected by gun violence, and refers back to the horrific massacre at Pulse nightclub in Orlando. 

Because they are more often the victims of hate crimes, lesbian and transgender women in particular face a greater risk of homicide than their straight counterparts. The article argues then that gun control becomes a major LGBT issue.

I know opinions vary greatly on this subject, but I have a feeling this community in particular would be against gun ownership in general, but I could be entirely wrong! What are your thoughts? Is it your right to own a gun to protect yourself, or should guns simply be removed from the equation and be illegal? 

images.jpg

I believe gun control laws are absolutely necessary. I don't believe they should become COMPLETELY illegal because criminals who already have guns could run around and wreak havoc while we have no way of protecting ourselves. However, background checks need to be much more expansive and much more detailed. I don't believe that owning guns is the problem, I believe that the fact that ANYONE can go out and get a gun is the problem. 

I also do believe that this is an issue that the LGBT community should be involved in. After the Orlando shootings, we, as the directly affected community, have the ability for our voice to be heard. I don't want to have to fear for my life because the Senate is not willing to keep guns away from killers and extreme homophobes.

I think every group that has to face hate on daily basis and in big scales has to take a stance in this, and sadly the LGBT community is the one facing the most hate these days from radical groups and general crazies. It is absolutely unacceptable how easy it is for these kind of people to get their hands on guns. Also, in my opinion there is no reason for a civilian to own a rifle, some of the stuff you can get is straight out of a war movie.

I think every american with a functioning brain should demand much more rigid gun control and better background checks.

I don't really see gun control as a LGBT issue. I don't think it is really a common problem in the states where LGBT are getting gunned down in the streets. I mean, don't get me wrong, gun control is an important topic that deserves discussion and LGBT get plenty of unreasonable hate still, it just doesn't seem like they correlate enough to say gun control is an LGBT issue.  Gun control is a people issue, LGBT are people, but beyond that I haven't personally seen much to indicate further.

I am extremely pro-2nd amendment and while I don't really see gun control as a LGBT issue I do think that it is awesome how much POSITIVE attention the LGBT community has gotten  after the Pulse shooting when it comes to gun ownership. There already were some LGBT gun clubs and organization and they as well as non-sexually oriented gun clubs are working together to teach more people in this particular group how to protect themselves and giving them a positive and comprehensive education on guns. 

It's not directly connected to the LGBT community. I know, a tragedy took place and LGBT members were involved as a target. But that's not the case.

Even though I'm not a supporter of Donald Trump's policy, I agree with his stance on that. Basically, he's saying that we all have to be careful, vigilant and report all the people whose behavior seems to be threatening. If anyone is shooting his gun every evening and prays every morning outdoors = something might be wrong with that person.

Gun control is a PEOPLE problem. Not a race, nationality, or sexuality issue. I think there needs to be better laws surrounding Gun Control.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 09.07.2016 at 6:54 AM, JennaHeart said:

Gun control is a PEOPLE problem. Not a race, nationality, or sexuality issue. I think there needs to be better laws surrounding Gun Control.

Do you have any suggestions to improve the current situation regarding the gun trade?

Edited by embracetheunknown

Gun control is an issue for everyone, including the LGTB community.  Unfortunately, while I would love to forever banish guns from the world, this will never happen.  Even if we outlaw guns, there are many criminals that will still possess them, which leaves us helpless to defend ourselves.  Many years ago, back in 2004, I used a handgun in my home to defend myself from an intruder.  While I did shoot the gentleman, he did not die.  It was a traumatic experience for me.  While I was grateful I had the gun in my possession and was able to defend myself.  It has also made me really squeamish around guns ever since. 

I live in Mexico, so the gun control laws are completely different here than in the United States, but to be honest, the concept of having a gun to protect yourself seems really unnecessary for me. Do you have any idea of how many people out there have mental issues and can literally kill a lot of people just because? That's the most scary part of it. I think that guns should be illegal for regular people everywhere, you don't know what a person is capable to do with such a power on their hands.

Sent from my iPod touch using GirlLoveGirl.net mobile app