We regret to inform you that this forum will be shut down soon. For any questions, please contact us.

Roberta

What are some things you realize as you get older?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I think that it's being conscious that absolutely everything can change from a moment to another... and how relative and temporary is every aspect of our lives. Sometimes we may think that we have a routine and that's it, that's our life, but there are so many things out of our comfort zone that can change our life on a positive way, and the hardest part is to finally decide to try them.

I think the biggest thing I've realized is that you don't have to please everyone -- and quite frankly it's virtually impossible to do that. There's always going to be people that aren't happy with what you're doing in life and decisions you're making - but as long as you're being true to yourself and not hurting anyone I think you have to follow your heart!

Lifе nеvеr stоps mоving. Еvеr. Sо yоu соnstаntly hаvе tо аdаpt аnd shаpе yоur mindsеt аrоund this. еxаmplе: Grоwing up, I wаs vеry funny. Hоw dо I knоw this? Bесаusе pеоplе tоld mе аll thе timе. Thаt wаs my thing, I wаs thе funny kid. Grаduаlly, I stаrtеd tо bеliеvе thеm. Wеll, yоu knоw whаt? аt sоmе pоint (if I hаd tо guеss, I'd sаy lаtе high sсhооl), I stоppеd bеing funny. АND NоBоDY TоLD Mе. Whаt did this mеаn? I spеnt thе first sеmеstеr оf соllеgе mаking jоkеs thаt nоbоdy еnjоyеd еxсеpt fоr mе. сurrеntly аdаpting tо thе idеа thаt whо I usеd tо bе is nоt whо I сurrеntly аm. Gоttа kееp thе fееt mоving tо kееp up!
соmpаrisоn dоеs nоt hеlp yоu. Sо stоp соmpаring yоursеlf tо оthеrs. Thеy аrеn't living thе sаmе lifе yоu аrе. In fасt, try tо rеfrаin frоm соmpаring yоursеlf tо yоursеlf. "аw, I did this bеttеr yеstеrdаy." Dоеsn't hеlp yоu. Fосus оn bеing thе bеst yоu thаt yоu саn bе tоdаy.

Edited by MariaJ

As i have gotten older, i've learnt to love and appreciate people, because life is short... forgive easily and be slow to anger... really listen and pay attention to others... people are going through more hell than you think... be kind and patient always... I've learnt that people's opinion isn't all that important when making life's decision... do what makes you happy... these simple things are responsible for my inner happiness and beauty

Sent from my iPhone using GirlLoveGirl.net mobile app

@self glad i could help!

People are always quick to judge and give their opinion when you didn't ask for it......it's your life and at the end of the day they have their lives.... so let them live theirs and you live yours to suit you, make and learn from your own mistakes

Sent from my iPhone using GirlLoveGirl.net mobile app

I realise that you will never relive your life so make sure you make the most of it while you can.

Don't forget to be grateful to The Almighty for each moment you have, others don't even have that. Happiness or sadness, accept both for you can't appreciate one without the other.

Lastly, Always do good for what goes around does come around. 

Reading all your beautiful replies just made my day. Thank you all! I just love reading stuff like this, I follow a lot of facebook pages and instagram accounts with such advice and I have to say, I feel more positive and more energized to just go and LIVE. I guess this is my thing, that I learned, even if I'm still sooooo young! Life is meant to be lived! Even if sometimes it's bad and scary.

I'd hate to think of myself as "old" right now, but I did realize something that is definitely important for me: we should never settle for less than perfect relationships  (as in, what is perfect for us).

I've met a few people who don't really love their partner with all their heart, but have settled for a less than perfect relationship. Well that must be frustrating! Especially if you're gay or a lesbian and think you have to settle for a straight partner you don't really feel passionate about, because you're afraid of something.

I think I am old enough to say that things change as we age. It's not only health related issues but our mindset also change. We think differently from what a 16 years old or a 20 years old think about different aspects of life. As matter of fact, when one is 16 17 or 20 he thinks for himself but as he grows he begins thinking about other members of his family, his workplace, his coworkers etc.