We regret to inform you that this forum will be shut down soon. For any questions, please contact us.

Daisy

Lots of Women are Bisexual?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

According to an article I read lots of women even if they don't know it, are bisexual.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/female-sexuality-straight-women-turned-attractive-women-are-either-bisexual-or-gay-360486

Women's sexual preferences tend to be a gray area. A 2011 study from Boise State University found 60 percent of heterosexual women admitted to being attracted to other women, while 45 percent had kissed another woman. Fifty percent of those participants also reported same-sex sexual fantasies. Based on these results. the researchers suggested women are more affectionate with other women because of their friendlier nature.

What do you think of these findings? Do they ring true? Do you think many women repress their emotions because they don't know the facts?

Science writer here! :)

I do think that sexuality and gender are very fluid so a lot of people fit somewhere in the middle. I also think that women would be more likely to admit bisexuality.

That article, however, gets a lot of things wrong. They claim that 60 percent of heterosexual women admitted to being attracted to other women. That's completely false, the study found that over 60 percent of heterosexual women had, at one time or another, questioned their sexuality. That's a pretty normal thing, almost everyone has a moment of "what if..." Since those participants identify as being straight, they're not necessarily attracted to women, they just questioned at one point in their lives. As with most psychology studies, there are some other issues such as the sampling. They were only surveying college students, mostly white. That's the case with most studies of this nature but it means that it doesn't necessarily reflect reality. The second study cited is well-known and it is true that straight women are often aroused by lesbian p***. That doesn't make them bisexual, though, it's actually an evolution thing I could go into if I had more time. It's not unique to humans, it's more of a primate thing.

I'll get off my soap box now, it just drives me nuts when articles write things that aren't in the study at all or get important facts wrong. I do think that most people have questioned their sexuality at least once but 60 percent of women are NOT bisexual (also, not as many have kissed women...another statistic the author got wrong).

I think it's most likely true that most women are bisexual, even if that's nothing but cultural... We're taught since kids to admire women, every magazine, every TV commercial shows women as magically beautiful beings, while they show men as more of technical beings, if that makes any sense... Men are taught not to think other men are attractive because it "makes them gay", but us girls don't feel that kind of pressure because it's normal for girls to find other girls pretty, even if it has nothing to do with sexual attraction.

Well, I think that as a human being, not only as a man, women or non binary person, we all have the attraction to all people, I just think that some people are tending to focus on one side or the other. I don't really know what else to say here... But I think that women are most likely to admit their attraction, or as another user mentioned, justadmitting that they are pretty without sexual attraction involved than men, men are more used to keep their "masculinity" and any sign of weakness and even being nice with other man it's a red light for a lot of people.

This isn't very surprising to me. I know several women that claim to watch lesbian p***ography on a regular basis, but do not claim to be bisexual. I also know women that have expressed that they would sleep with a woman, but they would not date her, which leads them to believe that they are straight. The logic behind this astounds me. I don't think women like to admit that they are attracted to other women, fully. They are okay with joking around and making fun of the situation, but they are not going to fully admit that they are bisexual. In my experience, many women beat around the bush.

I won't say lots of women are bisexual, however, I believe a lot of women have bisexual tendency. You won't see two men walking on the street holding their hands unless they are gay. However, women walking on the street holding their hands, even though they are not lesbians, is a common sight.  Most of the women love woman's body, and bisexual tendency may be one reason. Bisexual tendency does not necessarily  have to deal with sex.

Well, I think there are more bisexual women than men, let me just say that.  I think Western culture sort of worships sexy women and makes it more socially acceptable for women to be attracted to other women.  However, there is a difference between bi-sexual and bi-relationship.  I know tons of women that will have sex with other women, but they would never actually have a relationship with another woman beyond a friendship.  That really is the question that study needs to further explore in my opinion.

On 7/4/2016 at 1:18 AM, redpanda said:

Science writer here! :)

I do think that sexuality and gender are very fluid so a lot of people fit somewhere in the middle. I also think that women would be more likely to admit bisexuality.

That article, however, gets a lot of things wrong. They claim that 60 percent of heterosexual women admitted to being attracted to other women. That's completely false, the study found that over 60 percent of heterosexual women had, at one time or another, questioned their sexuality. That's a pretty normal thing, almost everyone has a moment of "what if..." Since those participants identify as being straight, they're not necessarily attracted to women, they just questioned at one point in their lives. As with most psychology studies, there are some other issues such as the sampling. They were only surveying college students, mostly white. That's the case with most studies of this nature but it means that it doesn't necessarily reflect reality. The second study cited is well-known and it is true that straight women are often aroused by lesbian p***. That doesn't make them bisexual, though, it's actually an evolution thing I could go into if I had more time. It's not unique to humans, it's more of a primate thing.

I'll get off my soap box now, it just drives me nuts when articles write things that aren't in the study at all or get important facts wrong. I do think that most people have questioned their sexuality at least once but 60 percent of women are NOT bisexual (also, not as many have kissed women...another statistic the author got wrong).

Haha! I feel your pain - it drives me batty when writers skew results and misquote studies like this just to grab the headlines! And thanks for pointing out the discrepancies, we need eagle-eyed people like you out there to defend the science!  ;)Thank you

I have also read some articles similar to this. I think it is indeed true because I myself have been attracted to girls as well. Well, I can say physically when  a I see a girl and I find her attractive, I can look at her like a guy does however, the only difference is that I only get attracted to a girl physically like when I thought a girl is pretty or gorgeous, but I never had any feelings aside from that.

Well. men are the same. I guess this is nature's way of balancing itself but you know, I feel so alarmed about this. If the order of nature would get distorted, then human reproduction would be compromised in the future. I hope I'm wrong.